Kerri Hollywood | Community Recreation Personnel Support Programs
We hear it a lot; sitting too much is very bad for our health and even our life expectancy.
Sitting too much can create:
- Posture Problems: Like rounded shoulders and a protruding chin
- Lazy Core Muscles: Standing requires you to tense your abdominal muscles, which go unused when you sit, ultimately leading to weak abdominals
- Hip Problems: Hips/hip flexors become tight and limited in range
- Leg Disorders: Circulation issues and varicose veins
Yes, our bodies are designed to be active and on the move all day long but some of us do have to work and are required to sit for certain work we need to do. The following are some Yoga-inspired stretches that you can do right in your office.
- Be sure to take a few good breaths in and out using your arms to stretch and lengthen
- Possibly add some shoulder rolls and wrist circles and/or turn your neck from side to side
- Then, think about sitting tall and trying these movements:
- Half Lord of the Fishes (Sitting Rotation)
- Chair Pose
- Cat Cow Pose
- Downward Facing Dog (and even Upward Facing Dog)
- Warrior I
- Warrior II
Of course you want to try your best to get moving in other ways throughout your day if you can. However, if nothing else, set your alarm to do these yoga-style stretches a couple times each day at your desk. You will feel a lot better for it!